« Home | Great Balls of Fire! » | I'm really tiredThere comes a point where one has ... » | The process of applying for post graduate medicine... » | Fees have been paid, date's been booked.Round 2 of... » | We welcomed the new year 10 minutes late, in an em... » | It's the very last 24 hours of 2006, starting 6 mi... » | J: So I suppose the question would be if Marquis d... » | And just like that, it's over.Mofo and I were havi... » | Happy Christmas! Lucky are us all with clean runni... » | Despite the fact that I am rather poor this month,... »

I always remember my collegue saying "You know you're PMSing when you watch commercials and you start to tear" . I absolutely hate it when I'm PMSing, because I can be on the bus which has mobile tv, and the news so happens to air a story involving some tragedy with crying family members, instantly the flood gates open and suddenly I'm flipping my fringe and acting all nonchalant. Or when I'm transfering some mandarin documentary for a client and it involves death and...crying family members, I get all teary, and have to act cool, because, ya know, it's not cool to cry.

Anyway, my point is, I realise that I don't have to be PMSing these days to be in emotional overdrive. Today's beef steak style cutting stabs to the heart was a picture in the National geographic (or was it Time magazine), of a Doctor with Doctor's without Borders comforting a severly dehydrated and malnourished african child. Lump in throat, feelings of guilt, despair, sadness, the whole works. And I think it really affected me because, as I sat in mass contemplating about life as usual, I once again asked God if this was my calling, and the first thing that popped into mind was that image. I realise that I need to surround myself with little reminders of why I want to go through with this, and to give me that push everytime I want to languish on my bed on a warm afternoon instead of working/studying/doing my assignments. I need to go down to the Assisi home day care alot more on the wednesdays, after Sister Una's session. You will be amazed at how mature children with terminal illnesses are. They speak with such clarity of thought, such peace, such thoughtfulness. They will tell you things like "oh he's not feeling very well today, it's medication day today."

I tried looking for that photo online, but I can't seem to find it. In any case quick search on MSF generated this (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060212-9999-1m12doc.html)
Dr. Sarah Carpenter and Marika, a Angolian baby girl.

In the article it writes: Many people had to walk from afar to the health center. “Imagine, a pregnant woman, with a sick child strapped to her back, another in her arms, and a huge load on her head, barefoot walking for 40 kilometers. Really."

Honestly what do you say to a thing like that? They say that charity starts at home. At this present moment I lack the resources to travel afar to be a part of what I'm passionate about, but I first have to start from home, family, friends, and the immediate community. How can you help others when your heart is not even open to people closest to you or in your own community? I'm not doing enough.

hi, found your blog by chance looking for some news about sarah carpenter, one of the most admirable women i ever had the chance to meet. i met her in uganda last september where she worked as a field coordinator with mfs spain.

Post a Comment